Sunday, July 23, 2006

Bumper stickers

I drove behind a woman this past week that appeared to be Dazed and Confused. She had 3 bumper stickers on her car. The Christian fish, one for a local church and a third with a handgun and the text “let me be your huckleberry”. My reading was that she will be your friend as long as you behaved the way she wanted, if you did not you are likely to get shot. Maybe I do not get it, but gun toting Christians scare the crap out of me.

We also recently saw Dubja casting his veto on the stem cell bill. I do not get this either. My understanding (maybe incorrectly) was that the request was to harvest stem cells from what is essentially medical waste destined for the incinerator. What the researchers wanted was to take stem cells from a fetus that was left over from an in-vitro process and was to be destroyed. So the bill was stopped not on rational thinking but based on religious doctrine. This is why this method of running a country is so dangerous. This is why our forefathers left Europe to create the USA. To get away from emotional reaction and to live under a system where rational thought was the order of the day.

Oh, yes I saw another bumper sticker. Maybe we need more of these: “So many Christians, so few lions”

No comments: